Frequently Asked Questions

Hillcroft Access Students on a visit to Cambridge Universities

Questions you often ask

What will it cost me There is a small enrolment fee of £20.00 for most courses with the exception of Skills for Life (Numeracy, Literacy) which is free. Enrolment fees should be paid when you submit your application form to secure your place on the course. Many students at Hillcroft may be able to receive special bursaries to fund residential accommodation, childcare provision and travel costs if they meet the eligibility criteria. If you don’t meet the criteria we have several affordable options available for you.

Who is eligible for courses? Women aged 19 or over who have been resident in the UK for the last 3 years. To qualify for a bursary you must have settled status, have been in the UK for the last 3 years and have not attended an Institution for Higher Education or completed a degree in the UK, EU or overseas.

Tuition fees are free for those on means tested benefits (You may need to take out a loan to enrol on a level 3 course, unless you are under the age of 25 and have not previously studied at level 3 (qualifications like A-Levels) Women who have been granted refugee status can also be eligible.

If you are an asylum seeker or have any other questions about eligibility please contact the Admissions team on 020 8399 2688.

Why are the courses residential? Residence at the college throughout the course is an important part of the learning experience. The learning environment and facilities are open 24 hours per day and students have a unique opportunity to learn together, support each other and share experiences.

Do you provide childcare? The College provides childcare through offsite Ofsted registered childminders (ages 3 months to 11 years). Please contact Admissions to discuss your childcare requirements.

What’s the catch? There is no catch. Hillcroft exists to help women who have not previously had an opportunity to fulfil their potential through education.